Monday, July 04, 2005

FAMILY

Often people will say to me I am an angry young man. I vehemently disagree with this. I no longer consider myself young.

However there is one thing, no matter how angry, or sad I may be, that always puts a smile on my face. My six month old nephew. On the weekend I visited my sister, brother-in-law and my little nephew. As corny as it sounds, nothing quiet excites me like the prospect of seeing him. I never get tired or nursing him or kissing him, and when he starts to cry it really tears at my heart. However when I make him smile or goo, there is nothing so adorable in the world.

When I tell this to people, their reaction is either one of disbelief, or a look indicating they wish their family was like that. And I have to say this is a really sad indication of just what a horrible materialistic and uncaring society we have become. Everyone in my family, regardless of age or gender, feels the same way about my little Nephew; there is always a constant tug of war over who will nurse him. I may not always agree with my family, but I love and cherish them more than anything else. Sadly, many people on the left often aren't close to their families which mystifies me: if you can't feel a connection with your own flesh and blood, how can you feel a connection with the greater mass of people?

I also love watching my father with my nephew. My father was never an overly affectionate person. This isn't to say that he doesn't love his family; he does very much. However when your formative years are spent living under Hitler, Stalin, through a civil war, and your mother dies when you are quite young, this will obviously harden you. However like me, he obsolutely adores my nephew, and constantly wants to nurse and kiss him.

Like most people, as a child I had major run ins with my father. However I now realise that, even though I still may not agree with some of what he said and did, he always had my best intention at heart. He suffered through so much as a child, and he wanted to ensure we didn't have to suffer as well.

These days I get along better with my father than any of my brothers and sisters. In fact I am the only person he will take directions off in the car. Much of this comes down to our common love of history and football (soccer to you anglo-celts out there).

So if anybody other than computer programs scanning websites to get email addresses to spam is reading this: cherish you family as they are the people who care most about you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melba said...

aleks, i think this is a lovely post. what is your background? you are obviously NOT a yob-aus. i can say that because i am anglo.

children are wonderful. they take you out of yourself, and you can no longer stay egocentric. they RIP you away from your moorings.

keep posting.

12:39 am

 
Blogger la nadine said...

my nephew is to be born in 10 days.

i am already exploding with love for him. i don't know if i could possibly be more excited about meeting anyone.

nice words there, mate.

10:37 am

 
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Melbournegirl, thanks for the encouraging words. My background is a mixture of Polish, Ukrainian, German, Tartar (descendants of Ghengis Khan's army who settled in Russia and Ukraine) and likely Jewish (my own personal family research has tended to indicate this).

My grandparents on my mothers side were deported during WW2 by the Nazis to Germany and used as slave labour. As a result my mother was born in a refugee camp in Germany. My father was born in 1938 in that part of Poland that in 1939 that was invaded by the USSR. In 1941 this was invaded by Hitler, and in 1944 it was again taken over by Stalin. At which a civil war between Ukrainian nationalists, Polish nationalists and the communist regimes of the USSR and Poland broke out. 100,000 Poles were killed, and 60,000 Ukrainians were killed. As a result we have always been brought up to cherish and love your family. My Nephew and My Nieces (who I also totally adore) are like my own children, and my cousins have always been like my brothers and sisters.

La Nadine, two things to look forward to with your nephew, the new baby smell (better than any perfume) and the softness of the soles of their feet. You just want to keep touching them, though you can't too much as it tends to tickle them. Nursing them to sleep, then watching them asleep in your arms is also something not to be missed.

1:11 pm

 
Blogger Melba said...

melt. i remember the smell, it is delicious. soles of the feet, oh yes, and the first time they ever give you a kiss [at your insistence]. divine. my baby is 8 now, my joy, my world.

la nadine, very very exciting for you. i was with my sister for her two births, as she was for mine. it is a real privilege and so dramatic and full-on. unforgettable.

11:56 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home