Wednesday, August 17, 2005

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Some of you may be aware of the comments recently of Macquarie University Law Professor Andrew Fraser on Africans. After seeing a picture of some Sudanese people in a newspaper Andrew wrote in and claimed that by allowing Africans into Australia there will be an increase in crime, because Africans have a genetic propensity to crime, or some such nonsense. He also said that studies have shown that sub-Saharan Africans have significantly lower IQs than Caucasians, and that Asian immigration into Australia should be stopped or we risked being ruled by an Asian elite. Now I have to say that I am always proud when a legal academic from the university I received my law degree from makes such public statements. (Note: I am not being serious about being proud)

These comments have raised some serious discussion amongst some of the groups I am a member of. The issue of freedom of speech is a vexed one. However the main discussion is around whether free speech should be restricted to stop comments like Andrew Fraser’s or whether freedom of speech should be absolute and as such he should be allowed to say what he wants, no matter how abhorrent what he says is.

My feelings on the matter; I disagree that freedom of speech should be absolute, but still defend Andrew Fraser's right to make his comments, even though they are wrong and I find them appalling to say the least.

There is the need to restrict free speech generally when that free speech advocates violence against others. In the case of Andrew Fraser's comments, though undeniably racist and repugnant, they do not advocate violence against those groups he attacks. This is why comparisons to Hitler are inaccurate; he did advocate violence against those groups he attacked. Yes some people will use his comments as an excuse to violently attack some groups based on their race. However some people could also use the comments of refugee rights activists about the Liberals as an excuse to violently attack Liberal party members and voters. Should these people be held responsible for this or have their right to say what they want taken away?

Remember, suppressing people's right to make racist comments won't actually eliminate racism. In Marxist countries like the USSR, Yugoslavia and China racism was "officially eliminated" and public racist comments were forbidden. Was racism eliminated in these states? The ethnic conflicts in the former USSR and Yugoslavia, and the continuing mistreatment of the Tibetans in China indicate that it wasn't.

In Australia, people held racist views on Aboriginals before Pauline Hanson made her racist comments on them public. Suppressing her views would not have eliminated racism to Aborigines. There were in fact benefits to her making her comments public; it allowed forums for people to publicly refute certain myths and stereotypes of Aborigines. There were also people who I knew who wouldn’t consider themselves racist yet who held some unenlightened views about Aborigines. When Pauline Hanson and her views were made public they quickly woke up to themselves because they didn’t want to be associated with someone who was such an ignorant bigot.

I think the focus of people should be on attacking Andrew Fraser's claims. For example his statement that sub-Saharan African's have lower IQs. There is much criticism of IQ tests on the grounds that it is very culturally specific to the Western world, and as such is not an appropriate way of measuring a person's intelligence. If there is any appropriate way of measuring a person's intelligence, which I doubt; to me some of the stupidest people I have ever met were people I studied law with at Macquarie Uni, even though most indicators would tend to suggest that they were "intelligent".

6 Comments:

Blogger Larry Bonewend said...

I believe the current public ridicule situation is grounds enough to suggest no further reduction in speech freedoms, but also believe that something along the lines of a Bill of Rights wouldn't go astray (although IAmNotALawyer).

As for rascism: education, better governance ("THEY'RE CHILDREN-THROWING LIP-SEW'ERS!"), and letting the dinosaurs die out are the only help I can see.

6:53 pm

 
Blogger Mikey_Capital said...

Good old Fraser and his whacky sax.

Me - no prblem with what he said. I applauded with glee when Hanson came out cause suddenly all the racists scurried around like cockies exposed to the light.

I think the major issue was that in his letter to the paper he signed it Professor Fraser, Macquarie uni, thus directly linking his place of employment to his personal political views.

That is a big no no. Me, I'm always saying dumb stuff at work and gotta follow it with 'these are my views and not that of the organisation I work for'.

I'm thinking of getting that printed on the back of my business card and just flashing that when a make mr poopy with my words.

I'll die in a ditch for people to mouth off about this and that, but unless they are mandated by their place of employment to do such things, then perhaps they should not mention where they work in that context.

The funny thing was that all I could think off when I read about this was "what are you going to do about it, whitey?" from the Blues Brothers.

I hate Illinois Nazis...

12:23 am

 
Blogger Mikey_Capital said...

Oh, I had a problem with what he said. I just meant I had no problem with his blathering his cocked views in public for the court of general opinion to knock him to his feet.

12:24 am

 
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Larry, A bill of rights is only as good as the government that is in power and the judiciary. Thus, in the current framwework, it probably wouldn't be any good.

Mikey, sure you had a problem with what he said ; )
But seriously, so long as he doesn't claim to be representing the views of his employer I think freedom of speech allows him to identify where he works.

Oh, and I love that scene in the Blues Brothers.

5:39 pm

 
Blogger Michelle said...

My goodness, what a crock!
Now i know why my Criminology/Forensic Science Degree is being gained from Griffith and not Macquarie. I have never heard such BS in my life. I wish morons like Fraser would get his facts correct before broadcasting crap like that to the public. Morons like him put fear into the community.....look at America!

7:50 pm

 
Blogger Justine said...

My strongest objection to it is that the comment is being made by an academic. His job is to be informed and to study rigorously and not to leap to conclusions.

We expect academics to have given some serious thought to what they are saying.

He has committed the cardinal sin of quantitative research, which is to take a correlation to be a cause. Fact: Where there are more churches, there is always more crime. Cause and effect? No. Churches are more frequent in higher population areas.

What he has done is poor standard. What a pity.

10:24 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home