Thursday, September 01, 2005

TIME

No I’m not dead (unfortunately in some ways) I just haven’t posted for a while. Thank you those of you that stopped by and inquired as to how I was going and what I was doing.

I haven’t been feeling the best both mentally and physically recently. On top of that something I helped organise recently drained me emotionally. All of which made me feel, despite the fact that I got to speak to the sexiest woman alive the other day (Kerry Nettle), like “The world is fucked and I hate the human race”. You know, my usual thing. However I decided to spare you from listening to this. Well until now.

A few days ago I almost got hit by a van. You know, one of those things were the van screeches to a halt a few centimetres away from you (the driver wasn’t looking where he was going). It started me thinking, if the van would have hit and killed me what would have happened? Would the world have been worse off without me, or would it have been better off without me?

Now if I died, obviously (well I hope) my family and friends would have been upset. But would my death have made the world a worse place to live? And thinking about it, I couldn’t see how my death would make the world worse.

However given the fact that I live in a first world country and consume way too much crap I don’t need, which adds to the scarcity of the world’s resources and increases pollution, the reality is that the world in some small way would have been better off if I had died, which quite frankly isn’t a great thing to realise.

Some people may say “cheer up, things could be worse” which always pisses me off. How is thinking things could be worse meant to cheer me up? Firstly it makes me feel guilty about the privileged position I have as someone in the developed world, and secondly it makes me feel terrible thinking that things may end up getting worse for me.

Well enough of my depressing ranting.

In Polish poetry, with it’s Slavic melancholy, I find a reflection of my own feelings, as well as a measure of comfort. The three poems below are examples.

DEDICATION

You whom I could not save
Listen to me.
Try to understand this simple speech as I would be ashamed of another
I swear, there is no wizadry of words.
I speak to you with silence like a cloud or a tree

What strengthened me, for you was lethal.
You mixed up farewell to an epoch with the beginning of a new one,
Inspiration of hatred with lyrical beauty,
Blind force with accomplished shape.

Here is the valley of shallow Polish rivers. And an immense bridge
Going into white fog. Here is a broken city,
And the wind throws scream of gulls on your grave
When I am talking with you.

What is poetry which does not save
Nations or people?
A connivance with official lies,
A song of drunkards whose throats will be cut in a moment,
Readings for sophomore girls.
That I wanted good poetry without knowing it,
That I discovered, late, its salutary aim,
In this ad only this I find salvation.

They used to poor on graves millet or poppy seeds
To feed the dead who would come disguised as birds.
I put this book here for you, who once lived
So that you should visit us no more.

By Czeslaw Milosz


FREEDOM

What is freedom? Ask the philosophers.
I, too, wonder; at one time I maintain
That it means guaranteed liberty
In the face of the power of the state, or else
I emphasise that it is the strength of convictions,
The sovereignty of spirit
And the loyalty to one’s own conviction.
But even when I am at a loss to define
The essence of freedom
I know full well the meaning
Of captivity.

By Adam Zagajewski


MY LONELINESS


My loneliness finished Valedictorians School.
It’s punctual and hardworking.
It’s been given orders and awards.

My loneliness
Is peopled.
Several Thousand readers walk across it.
It’s been written down.
Crossed out.

It’s tired of ruling
Like Frederick the Great.

It’s starting to have it’s disciples.
Its timid slaves.

My loneliness is public.
It lies at the bottom of the cage
With its silent flight feathers
Plucked out.

By Ewa Lipska

5 Comments:

Blogger Melba said...

hi aleks, had wondered about you. am glad you are not dead. sorry i can't comment on the poetry, i really don't read poetry. but i AM glad you got to talk to Kerry. Is she single? you should ask her out.
(see, i even used a capital 'K' in respect of your feelings for her.)

12:45 am

 
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

I loved that Milosz concept of birds being returned souls. Thank you.

7:45 pm

 
Blogger Rubydot said...

Asking whether the world would be better or worse off without you isn't going to get you anywhere. The point is to work to change it for the better with the time you have here.
I'm sorry you're feeling down, though Aleks. I loved the poems.

5:16 pm

 
Blogger Justine said...

Welcome back!
Could you please give us a big leftwing rant about social inequality and how that is being illustrated in New Orleans? With some detail please. Give you some purpose eh? :-)

READ THIS, PLEASE:
Aleks, by the way, I love this planet, I am green, and I can tell you honestly that despite never having met you in person that the world would NOT be a better place without you. Yes, it would go on without you. But there would be a lot of grief if you were to die suddenly. Suicide is such a WASTE. Of a beautiful body, of life that so many people are fighting to keep theirs...
one of the things that happened to me while I was using H was that an old 'family friend' who was 18 died of cancer. It was actually while I was clean that he died, but it made it so clear to me, you know. Because I got to see the impact it was having on the people around him: his family, friends, other people who knew him less well, and on me. I was already numb but I still grieve to think of poor Nick trying to live, while I was trying to kill myself.

So, HANG IN THERE, ok?!!!!!

8:52 pm

 
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Thanks people.

melbournegirl, I have no problems standing up in front of hundreds of people and talking without having anything prepared. But asking a woman out still scares the shit out of me; it just never gets any easier. It's even scarier when the person involved is prominent.

~brownie (and rubydot) Polish poetry, in my humble opinion, knows no equal. The sad state of the Polish nation from the late 18th century is partlly responsible. In Polish society, poets are viewed more highly than novelists.

rubydot, I do my best and spend a significant amount of time trying to make the world a better place. Yet the change for the better I see is minimal at best, and as such at times it seems so pointless and it is so depressing.

Justine, as someone who suffers from quite severe bi-polar disorder, I'd be lying if I said I haven't seriously considered suicide; that includes recently . However the general feeling I have is not one of wanting to kill myself, but wanting to not exist; becuase the world and life just seems so horrible and is unlikely to change. No matter how good my personal life is, there is always that awareness in me (and extreme guilt) that there is just so much suffering going on in the world, suffering caused by people, and that most people are just so indifferent to this suffering. This sea of suffering and indifference makes me sad, sick and angry and thus I wish for nothingness so I don't have to feel like that.

4:59 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home