Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Well, my talk on Saturday went well, and the Refugee conference as whole went well; we were expecting 50 people, thought 100 would be phenomenal, and as such we were pleased with the 80 to 90 people who turned up.

As for the other matter on Saturday, throughout the morning I looked out for the woman who I had met at the Ashfield Carnival of Cultures. I especially hoped she would come to my session so I could show off in front of her, you know, like a teenage boy (I readily admit I still act like a child). However wishing didn’t make it so.

I went out to Lunch, and upon returning I noticed she had turned up. I went up to her we talked a little bit. I followed her to the sessions she went to and sat down next to her, without acting like too much of a stalker. We talked a bit more, and guess what? We seemed to (for want of a better expression) "hit it off". We went to a refugee art collection opening after the conference, talked for a few hours together and seemed to share a fair bit in common. At the end of the night, we shared a cab home, and even before I could ask her out, she offered me her number, then realised I had it, and asked for my number, which I gave to her. We are likely going to see a play this Friday night. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

Things I have learnt about her already that I really like:

1. She is of Slavic Background – A mixture of Eastern and Western Slavic
2. She really cares about the refugee issue in Australia
3. She doesn’t own a car
4. She grew up in the same area as me, a very working class area
5. She now lives in the same area as me, which is very ethnically diverse
6. She is a bit of a movie buff
7. She is doing a Masters Degree in Sociology at my old University
8. One of her old school friends who she still keeps in contact with is an old work friend of mine who I still keep in contact with, and who I really trust and like.
9. She seems very pro-union and pro-workers rights
Oh and
10. She has the most beautiful blue eyes, which are highlighted be her long dark hair.

On the negative side, she does drink wine, but given all of the above, I am ready to not let this be an issue.

To top off a great weekend, I spent a few hours with my ten month old Nephew on Sunday. He gets more adorable every time I see him. He loves it when I lift him up as high as possible and then lower his face right down to my face, but strangely he doesn’t seem to enjoy it when other people do it. He has also started giving people hugs, predominantly my little Nieces, and his Mother and Father, though he did give me two as well; It is such a great feeling.

Why can’t all weekends be like this?

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:20 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:21 pm

 
Blogger Larry Bonewend said...

Well I take it this is one of those 'soul mate' people I hear so much about.

OR, an elaborate conspiracy by the wine industry to curry the favour of one of their harshest critics. (We'll get you onto the stuff Aleks, don't you worry about that)

6:32 pm

 
Blogger GS said...

Things are looking up. Maybe I should be telling you two to get a hotel room :)

7:27 pm

 
Blogger Justine said...

I think provided its not expensive wine, drinking it can be politically acceptable (if not correct).
I'm so happy for you... MA in Soc., man she sounds like a PERFECT ideological/ cultural/ class fit for you. xxx great to hear!

9:23 pm

 
Blogger elaine said...

Oh aleks! If anyone deserves some sunshine and happiness it is you.

That is the best possible outcome. You acted ethically and good things came of it.

xxe.

9:50 am

 
Blogger Melba said...

i am really happy for you too aleks. you deserve to be happy, and to meet someone great. i wish you all the best. will be thinking about you on friday night, and hoping it goes magically. sounds like you are off to a wonderful start there. just be yourself, and relax, don't be nervous. you already know she likes you (what she knows of you), and that's good.

11:55 am

 
Blogger Chixulub said...

I don't get how drinking wine is a drawback. Is it too bourgois a beverage? Should she drink beer instead?

Or vodka?

Sober women are harder to get in the sack in my experience, so if I were you I wouldn't discourage her from the grape. I understand that if you like wine, Australia is a hotbed of really good, affordable wines.

2:01 pm

 
Blogger Kay Adams said...

Do you not like a glass of wine hun?

Congratulations though!

I really hope something beautiful blossoms out of this encounter..

Its starting!!!!

12:35 pm

 
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Larry - Trust me, wine and me are almost like mortal enemies, it won't happen. As for the 'Soul Mate" we will see.

AOF - Please, keep your mind out of the gutter

Justine - Wine is wine, regardless of cost. Still nobody is perfect : ). Thanks

Elaine - Thanks for that.

Guru - No, I'll tru to convert her to beer; her background suggests she should already have a taste for Vodka.

MG - Thanks also, however I don't know if being myself is the say to go; if I do she may end up severely depressed afterwwards.

Chixi - you hit the nail right on the head; wine = bourgois, beer/vodka = good anarcho-syndicalist. Oh, and I will respond on your blog to heep our syndicalist/capitalist debate going, I'm just snowed under working for my members.

Sally - Thanks as well. C'mon, given your Estonian background you should know that wine isn't proper alcohol.

6:02 pm

 
Blogger Larry Bonewend said...

OK I formally give up on the wine thing.

(Hope you get the leg over though.)

10:06 pm

 
Blogger Susanne said...

Good luck, she sounds cool.

But what's wrong with wine?

9:51 am

 
Blogger Susanne said...

Oh, I should have read the comments. But can't she drink beer and wine? At different times?

9:53 am

 
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Larry - I know this may sound strange, but given it is our first "official" date, I actually don't particularly want to. In my experience this tends not to lead to a good long term relationship.

Susan - welcome emo girl. and, no, Beer and Vodka yes, no wine. I don't know, on your blog you claim to be left-wing but you obviously drink wine : )

11:34 am

 
Blogger Justine said...

hypothetically:
what about sangria - you know, rot gut wine with vodka added?
what proportion would need to be vodka to make it acceptable?

7:01 pm

 
Blogger Melba said...

good one justine

hey everyone, isn't tonight the night???

hope it's going well

sending good date vibes to aleks

9:13 pm

 
Blogger Larry Bonewend said...

Indeed.

*says a few good data vibe chants*

I'll be mortified if Aleks storms off because she orders a vintage Riesling.

*sends more vibes*

10:00 pm

 
Blogger Susanne said...

Aleks:

Thanks for liking my movies. Years of movie watching has gone into that list. I really love Garden State, but I can see where your coming from. It seems to incite a love or hate response in people.

I had heard the Get Up Kids broke up. Sad to see them go, but I can appreciate that they were nearing [in?] their thirties and having families and that it was time to wind up.

I saw them at the Metro too. I thought both bands were really good but I don't really like The Metro as a live music venue. It's too big and the acoustics suck. I would have preferred them to see them play at The Corner or The Hi-Fi.

In terms of being pessimistic, the 'somewhat' was definitely an afterthought, but I put it in due to my number 20- right now, I'm feeling optimistic about a lot of stuff, although my pessimistic side is definitely waiting in the wings to show up when needed.

3:22 pm

 
Blogger Justine said...

let me give you this URL before I forget to do it...
http://anarchoblogs.protest.net/

11:33 pm

 
Blogger Justine said...

and while I'm at it...
http://www.orthodoxanarchist.com/

11:33 pm

 
Blogger GS said...

*waiting patiently for an update*

10:33 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it klonopin generic photos Order phendimetrazine no prescription free scrabble How to repair a faucet santa barbara shemale klonopin online before and after liposuction pictures of males

4:29 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home