Monday, October 31, 2005

WHERE TO FROM HERE?

I’m sure that you have all been faced with the situation where you have built up somebody so much in your mind, that when you actually see them you can’t help but feel a little disappointed.

Well that’s what happened on Friday night. Upon seeing my date I couldn’t help but feel that "This is the person who has been on my mind constantly for the last week?" However by the end of the night, this feeling had totally evaporated and I was even more captivated by her. It just goes to show that looks aren’t what is important, but a person’s intelligence and personality. That’s not to say that she is "physically" unattractive; I wouldn’t change a thing about the way she looks. It’s just that this is secondary to personality and intelligence.

Due to few different things (mainly women getting ready issues) things started a bit late, and as a result we ended up missing the play we were going to see. However I’m actually really glad this happened, because it meant we spent more time talking. After we had dinner we went and had a few drinks, where we talked, essentially for about 5 straight hours. Only once at the end of the evening was there one of those awkward silences, but this only lasted for about 15 to 20 seconds. I was just really enjoying myself listening to her and looking into her beautiful blue eyes. The more she talked, the more I learnt about her and the more I liked (loved?) her. Eventually it ended, as she was tired (she works 2 jobs and studies part time, so I can totally understand) and had an assignment to do the next day, and I had to get up early for a protest outside Villawood detention centre.

However the end of the night came, and it wasn’t until she was about to get out of the car that I indicated, in a very pissweak way it must be said (you’d think things would get easier as you got older) how much I enjoyed spending time with her and asked if after she would like to actually go see the play we had missed in two weekends time when she had finished her assessments.

Now this is where the problems begin. She said that yes, after she had finished her assessments she would like to "catch up" with me. Now maybe I am I am totally wrong, but "catch up" seems to be something you do with friends, not somebody you are romantically interested in. However she then said to me that after assignments were over and she was less tired and stressed she wouldn’t be as boring and would be more "fun". Now again, this may be wrong, but this seems to be more like something you would say to somebody you may be romantically interested in.

Thus I am at a loss. Three other potentially relevant pieces of information; Firstly she said she cancelled a get together with a friend on Friday to "go out" with me. Secondly after I we missed the play I suggested we go to a movie, but she said she would prefer to go and have a few drinks instead, because she was tired and afraid she would fall asleep in it. Thirdly I SMSd her on Saturday saying how much I enjoyed her company; she SMSd me back saying she also had a good time.

Now analysing the events (I am always told that I over analyse things) there are a number of different possibilities:

1. She thought I had initially asked her out as a friend thing, more than on a date, and thinks that I have also asked her out as a friend again.
2. She thought I had initially asked her out as a friend thing, more than on a date but now realises I asked her out on a date and doesn’t feel that way about me.
3. She thought I had initially asked her out as a friend thing, more than on a date, but now realises I asked her out on a date and isn’t sure how she feels about me.
4. She thought I had initially asked her out as a friend thing, more than on a date, but now realises I asked her out on a date and thinks she may also like me in that way.
5. She knows I asked her out on a date, but now realises she doesn’t feel attracted to me.
6. She knows I asked her out on a date, but still isn’t sure how she feels about me.
7. She knows I asked her out on a date, and is attracted to me.

Now as I said, I really like (love?) this woman. As I see it I have three options:

1. Wait until she finishes her assessments in two weeks time then arrange to go out with her again. This would seem to make the most sense. However these next two weeks will be hell; the last three days alone have dragged on unbearably; I find it difficult to enjoy the taste of chaos concert on Saturday because I couldn’t stop thinking about her. Even worse is if we go out and she tells me she isn’t interested in me in romantic way; to see her and talk to he again would just make this so much more painful, even though it will be painful regardless.

2. Let her know how I feel about her prior to this by sending her roses. This would seem to be the best way of finding out where things stand quickly, and it may even help her to make up her mind if it is undecided, though this could be in either direction; she may find it romantic or she may find it too quick too soon.

3. Get in contact with our common friend to see if she can find out anything. This would involve the least embarrassment to me if she wasn’t attracted to me, though it is also extremely adolescent to do this. It should also be noted that our common friend is in England at the moment, and even when in Australia she is not very reliable.

So that is where I am at. Where to from here? Please people, your thoughts; which is the most likely scenario (I suppose this is more directed to you ladies) in terms of her feelings given the above and which of the above three should I do? I am so conflicted here.

11 Comments:

Blogger Justine said...

(First comment. Pressure is on.)
I think she is in the same boat as you - unsure, getting to know you.

I nearly said last week that shouldn't build it up too much, because its a lot for one person to live up to.

A few years ago I was in your boat - and after weeks of talking and talking and talking and talking I couldn't handle it anymore!! So I said, "Look, I really like you", or something like that. I was totally sober, by the way, so it was no mean feat.

It paid off for me though.

Ironicly, I got the idea of just (crazy as it sounds) EXPRESSING MY FEELINGS from my X-boyfriend. Oh well, at least I learnt something positive out of that fucked-up relationship.

Like Billy Joel said, "Tell her about it". Was that Billy Joel? Anyway.
But get to know her more, first.
Take your time. Both. I'm not helping, am I.

4:57 pm

 
Blogger Susanne said...

Hmmm... I think a bit of both Aleks-

I'm pretty sure at least a couple of them have kids, but it does mention on Wikipedia that they're ALL involved in side-projects too, so you're right- its not just to spend time with their families.

This is from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Get_Up_Kids

"Every member of The Get Up Kids is involved in some sort of side project. In 1999, keyboardist James Dewees' side project, Reggie and the Full Effect, released the debut album Greatest Hits 1984-1987. They have since released three other albums: Promotional Copy, Under the Tray, and Songs Not to Get Married To. In 2000, singer/guitarist Matthew Pryor's acoustic side project, the New Amsterdams, released the album Never You Mind. In 2001 they released Para Toda Vida, followed by Worse for the Wear in 2003.

The Pope brothers have been playing in Koufax, and Jim Suptic has formed a new band called Blackpool Lights. Most Recently, Matt Pryor has been working on a series of childrens songs, to be accompanied by a story book for children. The Project is tentatively titled The Terrible Twos."

...

And now... to your dilemma.

I would say don't go be too full on too soon and scare her away.

I would find it too much if I was sent roses after something that you're not even sure was a proper date or a friendly "catch-up".

Talking for five hours just the two of you is a really good sign. If you could do that when you don't know her that well, I would think there is definitely at least a personality connection if nothing else, which is a good start.

If she said 'catch-up', it could mean that she wants to be friends and catch-up as friends, or it could mean that she's not sure how you feel and wants to not put herself out there because of that.

If I was you I would take option one, but two weeks is a long time in the game of love- see if you can see here before than or at least give her a call. I'm in the middle of a busy period at uni too, but you can't do assignments 24/7.

Also, I think you need to kiss her. It might help if you are both drunk.

Good luck!!!

7:13 pm

 
Blogger Susanne said...

It's true- my weekend was quite bourgeois. Next weekend will be non-materialist anarchy, I assure you.

10:57 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no correct answer. You just have to blunder on through it and follow your feelings vs your over analytical brain.

When I met guru rex - the first time i was bowled over, the next underwhelmed and so the clincher was the third date...little did he know! His wishes had little to do with it :)

Perhaps you could just sms the url to your blog?

1:47 pm

 
Blogger Melba said...

aleks, points one through four are irrelevant. she knows you asked her out on a date.

so now you have the other 3 options. i would definitely not do number 3 (mutual friend). i wouldn't do the roses. i think that is a bit premature. but i would consider somehow telling her you really like her and are looking forward to seeing her again.

unfortunately romance and love unfolds in its own good time. or this is fortunate. just chill. the best way to put her off is to seem desperate. keen is good. desperate is not.

good luck!

ps why do you write like (love?) you do know you can't love that quick?

10:41 pm

 
Blogger Justine said...

Excruciating, isn't it?

You've got all the time in the world, you know...

10:55 am

 
Blogger elaine said...

Hi aleks, I second melbournegirl, no roses.

You could text her saying that you had a great time and if she needs a study break to let you know and you could go out for coffee.

(I know it's a bit bourgoise
or is that just lattes?)

It sounds to me like she's interested so just (try to) relax into it and it will turn out fine.

11:52 am

 
Blogger Susanne said...

I like Elaine's idea.

Let us know how it goes- you've got half a dozen girls right here ready to read the next installment.

11:23 pm

 
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Thanks all for your comments. Read my next post for what has subsequently happened.

Justine - Thanks, you're almost as wishy-washy as me! : ) As for all the time in the world, I don't know about that. We are not immortal, well at least not yet...

Susanne - I expect you to be MIA and in ASIO custody on Monday for your anarchic weekend. As for being drunk, I don't know about that, though my friends do day I am nicer when I am drunk.

Chop Suey - I did hear about it, but thanks anyway.

AOF - typical conniving female : ) as for SMSing my blog URL, I think I'll save that for later, like, oh, I don't know, so 30 years down the track....

Guru - I wish I had your confidence. I hope you are right.

Debs - thanks. I hope so too. Oh and welcome to my pit of despair - leave all hope outside!

Melbournegirl - thanks, but it is hard not to act desperate when I am! As for the like (love?) thing, as I said I really like this woman, and if things continue going well, then it may develop into love, that is why I say that.

Elaine - I don't drink coffee at all, or tea for that matter, though the idea is a good one, so thanks.

Countess - But I am a sad, scary, pushy and over eager man, so what am I supposed to do. Oh and welcome to my pit of despair.

9:53 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

6:52 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

2:09 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home