Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Harry Houdini

I'm like Harry Houdini - I disappear. For weeks or months on end. I cut myself off for months not just from my online friends, but from friends who I have known since school. Why? I just don't want to have to deal with people on a personal level. So I find things I can lost in for hours on end, things that will keep my mind occupied for long periods of time.

In many ways work is my salvation - it keeps me occupied and provides me with a sense of self worth that I don't find anywhere else. But too many things happened over the last year and I needed to get away from my present life, put myself in a new environment. So I found a new job, another union job, and will be leaving Sydney in less than 2 weeks to move down to start a job in Melbourne. My apprehensions have all but disappeared and I am looking forward to this, hoping that a new start will help me. There is another little thing too.

Last year, my sister had 2 miscarriages, and both were devastating to the family, a major loss because nothing is more beautiful or cherished than a new baby. But any day now my sister will give birth to another baby which will hopefully makes things better, while still not taking away all the pain. I will miss not being able to see my nieces and nephews as often as I have been, and not being able to see my new little nephew or niece as often as I would like too.

On Sunday I, inadvertantly at first, watched an episode of a program called Joan of Arcadia, which deals with a girl who thinks she can speak to god (like Joan of Arc), and her faily and friends. Normally I would have changed the channel and steered way clear or even thrown something at the TV, but a discussion amongst the characters about god, where some of them said that how could god exist in the world today, how could he/she let horrible things happen made me watch, and I was very surprised.

Besides the ongoing plotline of Joan "speaking" to God there were 3 other plots that ran through the episode. The first involves Joan's brother, who has been a paraplegic since a car he was in driven by his best friend, who was drunk at the time, crashed. Yet it is his friend that is suing Joan's brother. Why? Because he knew his friend was drunk but still let him drive instead of stopping him. It's a scenario most of us will have been in - a friend who wants to drive while drunk. How many of us stop them?

The second plot revolved around a friend of Joan's who drinks too much and almost dies of alcohol poisoning. Again Joan realises that she should have stopped her friend from drinking so much but she didn't - again, sound familiar? Both of these plots say the same thing - sometimes it's not what you do that is the problem, it is what you don't do. It's easy to blame others for what they have done to us, when the reality is we are to blame as well for allowing that to happen, instead of trying to stop it happening. I can definately see that I do this all too easily.

The last plot reveolved around Joan's father, who is a police investigator. A young boy is killed in a drive-by shooting by some gansters. Even though the people in the community know who did it, they wouldn't tell for they fear the consequences. However eventually a woman does come forward and identify the killers, but not long after she is killed and her house burnt. The moral? In a perfect world those who did what was right would be would not have to face any negative consequences. But the world isn't a prefect place, and sometimes those who do do what is right suffer as a result. I think I will try to continue watching the show.

Lastly my friends, and thank you to all of you with your messages of support, I would like to share a a poem from you by Czeslaw Milosz, the Polish/Lithuanian nobel prize winning poet:

NOT MINE

All my life to pretend this world of their is mine
And to know such pretending is disgraceful.
But what can I do? Suppose I suddenly screamed
And started to prophesy. No one would hear me.
Their screens and microphones are not for that.
Others like me wander the streets
And talk to themselves. Sleep on benches in parks,
Or on pavements in alleys. For there aren't enough prisons
To lock up all the poor. I smile and keep Quiet
They won't get me now.
To feast with the chosen - that I do well

9 Comments:

Blogger Justine said...

Oh my god! Aleks!
Now I should go and read what you've written...

7:19 am

 
Blogger Justine said...

Glad I didn't delete my blog after all (yet) so you tracked me down (Its a privacy issue, by the way... mostly...).
So how far along is your sister? Nice and big and round? Must feel awesome to be having a new one come into the family.

Moving to Melbourne- it doesn't have the light or vibe that Sydney has, but it has other things going for it, like... well, people tell me Melbourne has a better live music scene than Sydney. Less dancey. My glass ball tells me you want to live in East Brunswick, close enough that you can breakfast now and then at CERES and get frustrated by the service.
Anyway, no move has to be forever.

Yeah those shows can be surprisingly engaging sometimes. There's so much creativity out there. Pity such a portion of it is used in advertising! :)

I saw the Joan Of Arc film here recently. It was live, ie. Live organ.
The actual film went missing for a long time, but then was found after decades in a Norwegian psychiatric home, not far from here. How random. It was really intimate - there is no way they would have shown a film like that in the 'old days'... if you get a chance, you should check it out.
Of course, movie theatres don't have pipe organs - the screening was held på a fabulous church at the local university. how appropriate for the film. was JdArc mental? I don't know; Yes; Who is to say;... how would I ever know?

So cool to see somebody put their poetry on their blog. No one's doing that any more. I started getting grief for it - "If you are so into it why don't you put some of your own?" which I really responded badly to...
like I do to most things... :)
must remember to get myself a helmet.

I'm really happy to 'hear' from you after so long :)

7:40 am

 
Blogger Justine said...

by the way,
i wrote something about time inspired by you a few months ago, but I drafted it the other day.
maybe it'll pop up somewhere else sometime.

7:42 am

 
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

East Brunswick? No, just plain old Brunswick for me! :)

The doctors have said that if my sister hasn't given birth by the 29th they will induce her. So, only 8 more days at the latest. I can't wait. There is nothing more beautiful than a baby - the way they smell, how tiny their features are and how soft they are. And there is nothing more peaceful and tranquil than a baby sleeping in your arms.

As for poetry, why do you need to invent something when someone has already said what you want to say? Next time someone tells you not to put it down, tell me and I will fix them up for you. :)You should try to get a hold of Czeslaw Milosz's Roadside dog that the poem came from. It is mostly just his random thoughts on the world and life, but it is very compelling

Oh, and I now want to see what I inspired you to draft. Please?

1:20 pm

 
Blogger Melba said...

hey aleks good to see you back. i hope everything goes well with your sister. i remember when your last (nephew?) arrived and how moved you were. may you be moved again. how can you not? it's such a beautiful thing. babies are ace.

x

1:25 pm

 
Blogger Aleks - Anarcho-Syndicalist said...

Yes, it was my nephew who is two and a half now. I have another nephews to, he was born during my absence) who is one and a quarter. Both are the loves of my life, little characters who never fail to amuse

6:21 pm

 
Blogger Larry Bonewend said...

Ahh, solace in work – the secret guilty pleasure of unionists.

Great to hear you’re coming down south, and excellent news about your sis.

10:23 pm

 
Blogger Susanne said...

Great to hear you sounding more positive Aleks.

3:18 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

8:04 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home